Environmentor provides high school freshman, sophomores and juniors with paid internships in the spring and summer to conduct authentic environmental research under the mentorship of scientists from local universities and research institutions.
We are now accepting applications for the 2019 Environmentor Program. The deadline to apply is January 20th, 2019. After applying, students will be contacted by RWA staff to schedule interviews.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
- Students must be a Freshman, Sophomore or Junior in High School.
- Students must live or go to school in the Rockaway Peninsula (or adjacent city neighborhoods)
- Students who have participated in the RWA Shore Corps Program as a prerequisite are given priority.
- Students attend afterschool programming once a week at the RISE Center, in Rockaway, NY, from February - June, 2019.
- Students commit to 3 full days/week from July 1st- August 16th, 2019 to conduct a research project with a science mentor along Jamaica Bay and the Rockaway shoreline.
- Students receive pay quarterly over the course of the program for their research work.
- Students participate in regular RWA community service weekend events and will receive community service hours for the events they attend.
For more information, contact Program Coordinator, Juli Schroeger, at email@example.com
Watch our new video to learn more about the impacts of Environmentor!
The Environmentor Program is part of the Pinkerton Science Scholars Program and the NYC Science Research Mentoring Consortium (SRMC) led by the American Museum of Natural History. For more information about the SRMC program go to: http://www.studentresearchnyc.org/
Special thanks to the Pinkerton Foundation, the Simons Foundation, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, WT Grant Foundation and the People's United Community Foundation for sponsoring the EnvironmentorProgram.
BELOW ARE STUDENT RESEARCH PROJECTS FROM THE 2018 CYCLE.